Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Journal 2: Culture


As we live, we are bound to certain cultural aspects. We live with our culture. Culture is important in distinguishing our identity in the society. Culture concerns most parts of our live. Throughout the time, some cultural values had vanished since those values were no longer relevant to our life nowadays. However, there are still many cultural values that remain practiced by the society.

My race is Dusun. However, I don’t really know how to describe its cultural values back then. Half of my relatives are Chinese and I’m proud to say that I’m living in a multicultural environment. My father embraced Islam when he married my mother and since then, we live based on Islamic values. I’m not familiar with Chinese and Dusun’s traditions at all. We all know that culture evolves through time. So does my culture.

As far as I know, when we talk about culture, we will talk about ones’ lifestyle. This refers to their way of living for example they way they communicate with each other. This concerns moral values, tradition, the language being used and so many other aspects.

I believe in all cultures, good moral values have always become the strength. It’s important to ensure a good and peaceful life in the society. One thing that I always do even until now is to greet the old folks especially my parents. I always believe in being kind to the old folks because whenever I see them, I’ll automatically picture myself being old. All of us are going to be old one day and when the time comes, we unquestionably want to be treated nicely by the younger ones. This has always been a part of my cultural values as my parents have raised me that way and reminded me to be respectful towards the old people.

I think this value needs to be preserved throughout the time because it’s a noble thing to do. It’s important to show respect to the old ones because without them, we won’t be living in our world today. As for me, before I leave the house for example when it’s time for me to go back to school, I always kiss my mother’s hand to show my respect and appreciation to her. Moreover, she’s the only parent I have right now and I definitely want to have the best time with her before she leaves.

This is definitely one of the values that I will make sure my children would practice later. There’s nothing more satisfying than respecting the old folks. Without them, we wouldn’t be here.


4 comments: